|Reports to: CEO, Ronnie Wilson.
|Based at FST SMaRT in Woolwich
|Hours per week:
|45hr Av per week (excluding meal breaks) – across 6 days. Working flexibly as required based on business requirements.
First Step Trust (FST) is a charity that provides work experience, training and employment opportunities for people excluded from working life because of mental health problems or other disadvantages (workforce members).
Our approach is about giving workforce members the chance to overcome some of the difficulties facing them by getting them involved as colleagues. We provide ‘on the job’ training, advice and support to enable each person to improve their basic skills and knowledge of the trade. This will include supporting workforce members to gain recognised qualifications and access to work placements with our customers and other organisations.
The Garage Manager, will report directly to the CEO, Ronnie Wilson
The Garage Manager will be the most senior technician on site. They will have a good understanding of generating income and controlling expenditure, and ensure that the garage operates to the highest standards at all times. This will require them to be pro-active in marketing the garage and be looking at obtaining new business at all times.
The Garage Manager will provide training guidance and supervision to enable workforce members to get involved in all aspects of vehicle servicing and other fast fit work. Oversee our IMI Approved Training Centre with an initial focus on developing FST’s 10 Module Programme, which is aimed at making learning more accessible. The Technical Trainer will work with you, to ensure that training needs are met without compromising on the financial needs of the garage.
The Garage Manager will also ensure that the garage runs smoothly at all times and that parts and other necessary items are purchased in time to provide a cost effective and efficient service,
This is a “hands on” role requiring sound experience of the garage trade, organisational and communications skills together with a good understanding of how to motivate colleagues and other members of the team.
- To ensure that the garage is commercially viable
- To ensure that SMaRT Garage Services operates to the highest possible standards at all times delivering value for money for our customers and excellent training opportunities for the trainees.
- To ensure that all vehicle repair and other work is carried out within an operational framework and standards that meets or exceeds all relevant legislation, good practice guidelines and first class customer service.
- To lead and develop team members and workforce in technical skills, health and safety and customer service
- To manager FST’s 10 Module Programme including all supporting documentation, evaluation and reporting to IMI and funders.
- Ensure that Daily Shift Reports (DSR’s) are completed by all trainees and all supporting evidence required for trainee portfolios is up to date.
- To oversee the induction and the progression of workforce members during their time at the garage.
- To provide up to date, accurate and timely information to the Technical Trainer and other members of the FST management team.
- To understand/monitor/manage and provide reports, using our garage data system (GDS) around income and expenditure.
- To support the development of FST’s SMaRT Garage Services training programmes including the 10 Module Programme, Virtual Reality and customer service.
- To manage and develop SMaRT Garage Services within FST’s philosophy, policies and procedures and to work alongside people with mental health problems and other disadvantages as colleagues with equal potential
- To work within the limits and parameters as set out in FST’s policies and procedures, by the Board, Chief Executives and other executive officers
- Any other such duties as reasonably required by the line manager that is appropriate to the post.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Fully qualified MOT tester and competent technician (i.e. City and Guilds, NVQ, IMI qualifications) with at least 3 years post apprenticeship experience.
- Experience of motivating and supervising teams to deliver agreed targets.
- Experience or a willingness to be pro-active in securing new business.
- Experience of managing income and expenditure.
- Experience of supporting and developing apprentices and/or trainees.
- Current full driving license.
Knowledge and skills:
- Relevant and up to date knowledge of relevant vehicle software and diagnostic tools and equipment.
- Experience of using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) email and the Internet.
- Ability to plan, organise and prioritise own workload and that of others.
- Good organisational and administrative skills.
- Good written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to make tasks and procedures accessible to everyone .
- Genuine commitment to Health and Safety
- Customer service ethos.
- Commitment to opposing discrimination and actively promoting equality of opportunity by encouraging the trainees to meet the challenges and responsibilities of ordinary working life.
- Understanding and commitment to the values, principles and approach of First Step Trust.